Sunday 29 May 2016

Foxxie III

Third and almost last chapter of my adventures in my lovely third London house. First part here and second part here.


I get back from my holiday and I meet up with Daisy the following day. She is waiting for me on a tiny Japanese restaurant by Earls Court station. I order something similar to spring rolls and we start discussing our situation.

Me – Look, just for the two months we have left I think it's just better if I am not in the contract. I don't think you are trying to scam me any more, and you have seen already that I didn't run away with your money, so if that's OK with you, I pay you and you pay the agency, just like we have been doing.


EXPLANATION

The filthy little bastards from the agency were not only going to charge me 120 pounds for putting me on the contract, but were also going make Daisy pay a more than 400 pounds fee for the tenant change. You may be thinking that this is because the situation is giving them some kind of work. It's not. Daisy is the one showing the flat to potential tenants, it's her doing all the management work. I haven't even met the agents. I truly wouldn't mind much if these people suffered some tragic accident.

Furthermore, this sudden change of heart from the landlady, if it leads to my immediate leaving, will force Daisy to pay double rent for two months, because she is already installed in another flat. That is, for the European people out there, more than two thousand euros a month in rent. A lot of people just can't afford that kind of money.

END OF EXPLANATION


Daisy seems to be super relieved.

Daisy – You would be doing me the biggest favour ever, because obviously I'm not going to find anybody to rent the room to just for these two months, so if you don't stay I would be paying for that rent. Also, the landlady is perfectly fine with you staying instead of me. Everything should be fine.
Me – The only problem is that I can't wait until the end of the two months to start looking for a new place; I can't risk it. So I'll probably pay you just one month, I doubt I'll be able to stay longer than that.
Daisy – No worries, you just pay for the days you stay. I'm so sorry you are in this situation, with all the bad experiences you've already had with the other flats. I was hoping this would be the good one for you.

This girl might actually sell kidneys in the black market after all, what do I know, but she genuinely looks like a good person. We drop the subject, I tell her about my holiday in San Sebastian and she tells me about London film festival. We decide we have to go to the cinema or for coffee one of these days.

Daisy - The girls want to talk to you when you get home, I guess to see how you guys are going to deal with all this.
Me – Yeah, well, I'll tell them about what we have decided. I don't really know what they can say about it, it's not like I have a choice here. I have to be out of there in two months, just like them.

This is one of those moments in which you think things can't get any worse, but then you realize it's me we are talking about, so you decide to wait and see what happens.

I get home and hear Foxxie and Muggie talking on the couch.

I stick my head in the door while taking my coat off.

Me – What a mess. I take this off and then we can talk -I disappear in the corridor to drop my stuff in my room and go back to the living room-. Daisy has told me you know about the whole situation -I sit on a chair-. We've been talking and... -I tell them about the conversation. That I'm going to keep paying through her- …the problem is that I can't stay for two months, I have to start looking soon. I'd like to stay so she doesn't have to pay extra, but I just can't afford waiting for too long and then not finding a place in time. This situation sucks.

Foxxie and Muggie have listened to my monologue in silence. None of the things I've just said matter in the slightest; what Foxxie says now are studied words that they have planned to say before I got home.

Foxxie – Well, you not being in the contract was OK at the beginning because it was a temporary situation, but I am no longer comfortable with you staying here if your name is not on the papers.

Uhm?

Me – What? You want me to move like.. now?
Foxxie – Well, not now, now. But as soon as possible.

I guess we now know who the owner of the mug is.

Foxxie – Is this just my opinion? I don't know if I'm the only one thinking this -she looks at Muggie. Please. Like they haven't rehearsed all this already-.
Muggie – Yes, sure, I am not comfortable either... the sooner you start looking, the better. It's just the best for everyone.

The best for everyone!!??

No, you whore. It's the best for you and your brat friend; you are kicking me out of the house with my energy almost exhausted and you are putting one of your friends in a serious financial situation. Sluts.

With the shock of having these two little prostitutes kicking me out for absolutely no reason, I tell them that if they want to say anything related to all this mess they know where to find me and I go to my room. This is not only amazing because they are asking me to leave without any kind of valid reason in spite of them perfectly knowing about my history and about me being about to run out of patience regarding London housing. Nor because Daisy is about to pay double rent for two months in a city whose renting numbers can easily take away 40% of your salary. This is deplorable because these two witches claim to be Daisy's friends. Them being two slappable bitches with me is bad enough, but getting a friend in serious economic trouble is simply unbelievable.

And don't think that we had some kind of problem while living together. I don't even think they were at all uncomfortable with the you're-not-in-the-contract issue. I believe they just felt like living on their own and knew Daisy would pay because she was tied to a contract. And not only this, they didn't even tell her what they were about to do.

I close my door with a pretty consistent trauma and thinking whether I shouldn't start considering taking a plane and going back to Spain, or at least to some other city that is not so freaking ungrateful. There are some things I thought I would never experience in my life and one of them is being kicked out of my house. I can't say London is not providing me with surprising new experiences.

I grab my phone. I have the depressing duty of telling Daisy that she will have to pay a lot of money in the upcoming months and that her friends are probably not their friends at all. I open whatsapp.

Me – Daisy, hi. I'm so very sorry but I have to move out as soon as possible, the girls don't want me to stay.
Daisy – WTF?????????? I'm shopping, give me five minutes and I'll call you.
Me – WTF, yes, that is the definition.
Daisy – They can't do that. It's my room and you are my guest and the landlady is OK with you staying there. You can stay as long as you want.

Well, this is technically correct. These girls don't really have any right to decide whether I can stay or not; the thing here is that living with two people who want you out of there is extremely unpleasant and, what is more important, the doors don't have a lock. They could get in my room while I'm at work and throw all my stuff out the window, and I would be powerless about it.

I realise it doesn't really make sense to be shocked. From the beginning they were behaving like the flat was theirs and like it was them and not Daisy choosing who would stay and who wouldn't. That first day having coffee with them it was clear that the one making the decisions there was Foxxie, Muggie was going to be OK with whatever she said and apparently Daisy didn't count because she was no longer going to live there. Also, I must say that I thought that Foxxie was a bitch from minute one, but about Muggie I just thought she was thick as a brick, not a bad person. She fooled me well.

Five minutes pass and Daisy calls me, half angry, half shocked, and tells me again that I can stay as long as I want, that these two don't have any saying about it.

Daisy – I just can't believe this!! I'm just baffled!! I should put a homeless man in there. It's my room and I can bring whoever I want; I should tell a homeless man to come stay for free for two months. Even if he destroys the house and I lose my deposit it would be worth it.

For a second there I have the impression that if I encourage her a little she will actually go to a crack house to make some new friends. Anyway, I explain why me staying there more than the absolute necessary is not a good idea and we promise to keep each other posted.

In the background, I hear Foxxie and Muggie guffawing at whatever they are watching on TV. This is why I like living in a country in which it's not usual to have guns at home.


I'll tell you the end of this on the next and last post. I still have some hatred left.

No comments:

Post a Comment